Morning Pages: What should I write about?
I've been journalling for almost 2 years now but some days I get stuck and can't think of anything to write about.
I did a bit of searching to see if anybody had advice on solving this problem and found a few different articles:
- The Productive Benefits of Journaling (plus 11 ideas for making the habit stick)
- Read This If You Want To Keep A Journal But Don’t Know How
- Turn Pain to Joy: 11 Tips for a Powerful Gratitude Journal
- Tips for Keeping a Gratitude Journal
- WTF Is A Bullet Journal And Why Should You Start One? An Explainer
The articles talk about different approaches to journalling and since I'm not following one particular approach I thought I'd summarise all their ideas and put them in a document that I can use. I've also added some of my own ones.
Here's the list:
- Something you're grateful for
- An unusual event
- Goals or hopes
- A past event
- Things that are stopping you achieving your goals
- Values that are important to you
- Ideas or nagging thoughts
What did you do yesterday?
- What did you work on?
- Who did you talk to?
- What book did you read?
- What podcasts did you listen to?
- What TV shows/movies did you watch?
- Where did you go?
- What are you doing today?
- What scares you?
- Decisions you need to make/made - small or big
If you have any other ideas of what I can write about let me know in the comments. While researching for this post I noticed that Julia Cameron, the inventor of Morning Pages, has a new book out - The Right to Write: An Invitation and Initiation into the Writing Life - so I'm hoping to get some ideas from there as well.