My colleague brought in his copy of the game and it made it much easier to imagine how we should be modeling it by having the game in front of us.
We used the Randori approach with four people participating for the whole session.
What We Learnt
- Modeling wise the approach we took provided a a much more interesting problem to solve - we were keen to avoid ending up doing a lot of string manipulation as we had on our java attempts at solving this problem. We got as far as telling a cell to remove itself from the board and were implementing the functionality for the cell to inform adjacent cells that it no longer existed.
For next time
- I won't be able to make the next couple of dojos but the plan is to keep working on the Isola problem in the next session.
- I am also keen to try out Keith Braithwaite's TDD exercise in one of our dojos, an idea which I came across from reading Gojko Adzic's blog entry about the Software Craftsmanship Conference held in London last week. Briefly, the idea is to try to keep things simple - implement everything inside our test and then extract it out into classes and methods when necessary. Small steps is the order of the day.